Thursday, January 7, 2016

a whisper of writing

I don't often write, but I've been trying to write more.
As was I looking through old writings I found this and thought I'd share. Have this little tidbit I wrote from a prompt I saw on tumblr. Enjoy, and tell me what you think of it.


"Here you go." I repeated for the hundredth time today as I hand a woman her coffee. Her hand touched mine for a brief moment as the coffee exchanged hands. Her skin was smooth and warm. "Thanks." She said already on to the next part of her day. I sigh as I look down and notice her change, still sitting on the counter. "Hey, Lara, be right back. Some lady forgot her change." I grabbed her change and rushed out the door. Thankfully she hadn't walked very far. "Mam. Hey, lady." I yell, she turns "You forgot your change." I say handing her a couple of bills and a few coins. "Oh my gosh! Thank you. I can't believe I walked off without it. I feel like an idiot" "Don't feel bad, it happens to the best of us." I say. The silence linger in the air just long enough to be awkward.
"Anyways, um..have a good day, and enjoy your coffee." "Thanks again." She says with a smile.  I walk back towards the dinner but turn as I hear a large bang behind me, and then it feels like a bus hits me in the chest. I fall to the ground.....I can't breath.
The fact that people are screaming and dashing in all directions vaguely registers. I still don't know what that noise was...or what hit me....and I can't breath right. Why can't I breathe right? Then it feels like a wall of noise, pain and confusion rushes over me and I connect the large noise with what hit me. I got shot...which is terrible and all, but I'm more annoyed by the fact that I can't seem to focus... Black dots swim around my vision getting larger, and larger until, I all I can see is blackness...it doesn't hurt anymore....
                                               ~~~~~~~~~
I stand staring down at a six foot deep hole in the earth that can in no way match the hole in my life that my best friend used to fill. "Earth to earth, ashes to ashes, dust to dust; in sure and certain hope..." What does he know, he doesn't ev-.... didn't even know Conner. It seems like forever till the old man stops talking, and then one by one people solemnly leave until it's just me standing over a pile of fresh dirt. "In movie when someone dies their family are supposed to be standing here." I say out loud, talking to myself, or maybe Connor, or maybe to no one. Although my voice is so choked up I doubt anyone would be able understand me. "How this happen?" I sink to my knees, and then slowly sit, now talking to Conner. Not that he will ever answer me again. "How could you leave me? What happened to all of our plans for the future?" I start sobbing "You always said that you've known me forever and always would." Memories of us playing as children come, unbidden, to mind. I push them away, I can't bear to relive them, not right now. "I just.. I just want.. I want you to not be dead... To walk out from behind that tree and hug me, punch my arm and tell me to stop being such a baby" I glance at the tree, half expecting him to be standing there with that ridiculous
grin, and laugh at some joke he thought of that he'll tell me in a moment. "But you're never going to do that. You're gone... And I'm still here." My crying, which had slowed, begins anew. "I am left standing here. Over your GRAVE." I punch the grass, voice cracking as I say, "And I didn't even get to say goodbye." I stand up slowly. "So this is me...Standing by your side, just like always. Saying.." My voice barely above a whisper "saying goodbye, to my best friend in the world....."
                                                                                    -"goodbye"
                                                 

No comments:

Post a Comment